If you like your brownies chewy and fudgy like I do then this is the recipe for you. Topped off with a salted caramel butter frosting and studded with chunky chocolate bits, this truly is one decadent little parcel of goodness. I finished a freelance job recently so I made these as a little going away treat, I think it hit the spot.
Fudgiest Fudge Chocolate Brownies with Salted Caramel Frosting and Pecans
- Fudge Brownies
- 220 g coarsely chopped quality semi-sweet chocolate (see notes)
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 150g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 50g (1/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 180g semi-sweet chocolate chips (see notes)
- 50 grams pecan nuts, salted or unsalted (optional)
- Salted Caramel Frosting
- 50 g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 (60 ml) cup heavy cream
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C and adjust the oven rack to the lower third position.
Melt the butter and the chopped chocolate in a small saucepan on low to medium heat, stir constantly.
Remove from the heat and pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly, ± 10 minutes.
Line the bottom of a (square) baking pan, ± 22 x 22 cm with baking paper or aluminium foil, leaving an overhang on all sides so it's easy to remove later. Set aside.
Whisk the sugars and the vanilla into the cooled chocolate/butter mixture.
Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until smooth each time.
Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and salt until combined. Now fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for ±35 minutes. Check if it's done after ± 30 minutes already (every oven is different) by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean it's done, if not you need a few more minutes.
Let the brownies cool completely in the pan which is placed on a wire rack.
Once cooled, lift the foil out of the pan using the overhang on the sides.
Salted Caramel Frosting
Add the granulated sugar and water into a small saucepan and give it a quick stir.
Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, let bubble away without stirring, or the sugar will crystalize. You can swirl the pan now and then though.
The mixture will turn a dark amber colour in about 6-7 minutes, don't let it darken too far or it will taste bitter, so keep an eye on it, it will go quick towards the end!
Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cream and vanilla until completely smooth. Set aside and let cool, ± 25 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl combine butter and salt and whisk (I used an electric hand mixer) until fluffy, ± 3 minutes.
Add the powdered sugar spoon by spoon and carefully / slowly whisk it through the salted butter until completely incorporated.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the caramel. Whisk the frosting until airy and thoroughly mixed, about 2 minutes.
Cover and refrigerate until stiff, about 45 minutes, before using.
Spread the frosting over the brownie, crumble crushed pecan nuts over the top (if using) and cut into squares.
- I used 2 small bars of pure chocolate and 2 small bars of milk chocolate instead of chocolate chips, that's easier to fine here in The Netherlands. Personally I also prefer the chunky irregular sized pieces of chocolate studded through the brownies.
- The brownies without frosting will keep for about 3-4 days in an airtight container. With the frosting it's best to keep them in the fridge in an airtight container, they will then also last 3-4 days (if you can contain yourself for that long 😉