Meatballs for dinner, meatballs for fingerfood, meatballs as a snack, meatballs in a roll, I love ‘em all! I made these little lamb meatballs to go with stuffed courgette, but if you make them half the says they’re great just as an appetizer. Also great the next day, I’m snacking on a cold one from the fridge as we speak 😉
They’re filled with feta and flavoured with thyme, garlic and cinnamon. First browned on all sides in a frying pan and then finished off in the oven glazed in pomegranate molasses for a sweet and tangy finish. Serve them hot from the oven or as a snack the next day. They’re also great with stuffed courgettes for example.
This is a great dish to make ahead of time, fry them off ahead of time and then just finish them off in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
Lamb Meatballs with Feta and Pomegranate Molasses
- 500 g minced lamb
- 100 g feta, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- Medium bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1-2 slices of crustless white bread blitzed into crumbs, or 2 tbsp ready made bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pomegranate molasses (enough to glaze them in, ± 1 tbsp), optional but very good
- Pepper & salt for seasoning
Preheat the oven to 200°C (see notes).
Add the minced lamb to a large bowl and add the thyme, garlic, parsley, bread crumbs, cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
Add the feta and gently mix through so it's evenly divided.
Mix well and make 18 balls of ± 35-40 g each (or 36 smaller ones if making appetizers).
I like my meatballs quite rough around the edges but if you'd like them smoother wet your hands with cold water and roll the balls around in your hands until the edges are smoothened out.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium to high heat.
Add the meatballs making sure they have enough room to move around and are browned on all sides, ± 5-6 minutes.
You might need to do this in batches. If the meatballs are packed too close together they might steam instead of crisping up around the edges, which is the best part.
Transfer the meatballs from the pan to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Drizzle a good amount of pomegranate molasses over all the meatballs and place in the middle of the oven.
Bake them for ± 7-8 minutes until cooked through.
- This is a great dish to make ahead of time, fry them off ahead of time and then just finish them off in the oven when you're ready to serve.
- I served these with Stuffed courgette for which the oven was heated to 230°C, I didn't want to waste time by baking them separately so I added the meatballs to the same oven at 230°C for ± 5 minutes and they turned out fine!