Creamy tomato & parmesan broth, earthy green cavolo nero, savoury sausage with pops of fennel seeds, cheesy and comforting tortellini. A rich dish? Yes! A nutrition dish? That too! An easy dish? Absolutely! A quick dish? On the table within 25 minutes!
One Pot Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup with Fennel Sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1-2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 2 pork sausages
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 can whole or crushed tomatoes
- 3 cans water
- 1 stock cube (chicken or vegetarian
- 125 ml full fat cream
- Parmesan rind (optional)
- 300 - 400 g cavolo nero or kale, roughly chopped
- 250 g tortellini of choice (I had ricotta & spinach
- Pepper & Salt to taste
- To serve: freshly grated parmesan / Fresh crusty bread
Remove the skins from the sausages, add a drop of olive oil to a heave based pan and add the sausage meet and fennel seeds. Break down with the back of a wooden spoon into bitesize pieces and fry until cooked through and browning on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
If needed add some more olive oil to the pan and add the onion and a pinch of salt, sauté until translucent and fragrant, ± 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, leek, carrot and celery and sauté 1-2 minutes until softened and then deglaze the pan with the wine. Give it a good stir to scrape all the goodness off the bottom of the pan and let bubble away for 3-4 minutes to let the alcohol evaporate.
Add the tomatoes, water, stock cube and parmesan rind (if using).
Bring to a simmer and let bubble away for 10 minutes. Taste and season with pepper & salt.
Add the tortellini, cream and cavolo nero and let simmer, for ± 3-4 minutes until the tortellini is cooked through. Remove the parmesan rind.
Serve with freshly grated parmesan on the top and some fresh crusty bread or garlic bread on the side.