There is something so luscious about roasted aubergines. The blackened skin add a smokey earthy flavour and the flesh is silky and rich. Great in a baba ghanoush, but have you ever tried it in a soup?
This soup recipe can be made with pretty much any vegetables, so if you’re looking for a healthy, tasty and easy dinner? Then this is the one!
Roasted Aubergine, Red Peppers & Tomato Soup
- 1 large aubergine, cubed into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red pepper, stem removed, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 3 - 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and roughy chopped
- 5 - 6 garlic cloves, skins left on
- 1 chili, left whole (leave out if you don’y like spice)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ± 500 ml water, more if needed
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- To serve
- ± 125 g cream cheese (to keep it vegan use a plant based cream cheese or yoghurt)
- Mix of fresh green herbs, your choice, finely chopped.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pepper & Salt to taste
- To serve: Squeeze of lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Add all the vegetables into a large baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Toss to coat and roast in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes until vegetable juices are flowing and aubergines are charred here and there.
Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, ± 5 minutes.
Find the garlic cloves and squeeze them into the veggies.
Find the chilly, remove the stem and add to the veggies (remove some seeds for less spice if you like).
Pour everything into a large soup pan, add a stick cube and top off with just enough boiling water to cover everything.
Blend with a handheld mixer until smooth, adding more water along the way to get your desired consistency.
Add the cream cheese to a small bowl and whisk until softened and fluffy. Add the herbs, lemon zest pepper and salt and mix well.
Serve the soup with the cream cheese dolloped onto it, a squeeze of lemon juice and some fresh herbs.