Packed full of veggies and overloading with flavour, this is a super easy soup to make, perfect for if you’re not really in the mood for cooking but still want something healthy and tasty.
The veggies are roasted for 30-40 minutes until golden edges crisp up on all sides, adding a little extra depth to the flavour. While the veggies roast, the lentils cook in vegetable or chicken stock and then they’re thrown together in the pan and blended. This way of cooking vegetables also ensures you don’t lose any of the vitamins and nutrients by over boiling them. A win win situation in my book!
I served it with some fresh bread & wild garlic butter. For the recipe click here!
Roasted Vegetables Red Lentil Soup
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 head of garlic, left whole
- 1 red paprika, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 4-5 large tomatoes (± 500 g), roughly chopped
- 1/2 red chili, roughly chopped (or a whole one for more spice)
- 1.5 chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 1 liter boiling water
- 2.5 cups red lentils (mine usually take 10-12 minutes to cook, see description on the packaging and adjust the recipe below if needed)
- Pepper & Salt
- Olive oil
- Small bunch fresh parsley or koriander, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Roughly chop the tomatoes, peppers, chili, onion, garlic and celery and divide them over the baking tray. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with pepper and salt.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring half way through.
When the vegetables have been roasting for 15 minutes boil the water, add the stock cubes and the lentils and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the oven and by folding the baking paper create a kind of funnel so you can slide the vegetables into the pan.
Turn off the heat and blend the soup until smooth.
Taste and season with pepper and salt.
Serve with a drizzle of oil and some fresh parsley or koriander over the top.
This soup is super versatile, here a few suggestions what to serve with it: Fresh crusty bead with butter, garlic butter or olive oil, Chipotle chili flakes, Crumbles feta, merguez sausages, Parmesan cheese, spring onions. Go nuts!