Stir fries are an easy and tasty way to get in loads of veggies and also super quick to make. I used kohlrabi and chard, the kohlrabi stays nice and crunchy and also takes up a lot of flavour, it has a bit of the same texture as bamboo.
The chard adds punchy colours and the leaves really soak up the sauce. But any vegetable will work: red peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes, just give it a try!
Recipe inspired by the amazing @reciptetineats, I didn’t change much but only added some honey for extra sweetness and ginger and chilis for extra flavour and heat.
Chinese Chicken & Cashew Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine, dry sherry or mirin
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- Pinch of white pepper
- **Stir fry ingredients
- 350 g chicken thighs or breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Thumb size ginger, grated
- 2 small red chili, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 medium kohlrabi, peeled and chopped into thin bitesize pieces
- Small bunch chard, spinach or kale, thinly sliced (stems & leafy bits)
- 3/4 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 100 ml water
- To serve
- Steamed rice
- Chili flakes or (homemade) chili oil
Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
Slice the chicken into thin strips and add 2 tbsp of the sauce, let marinade for at least 10 minutes, longer fine too.
In the meantime prep the rest of your vegetables and cook the rice.
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan and add the onions, garlic and chili. Stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes until just starting to caramelise.
Add the ginger and stir fry for another minute.
Pour in te marinated chicken and stir fry on high heat until starting to brown, ± 3 minutes.
Add the cashews and stir fry for another minute.
Now it's time to add the kohlrabi, mix to coat and let stir fry on high heat for a minute.
Add the chard and mix well until the leaves start to wilt.
Add the sauce and the water and stir until the sauce is thickened.
Let simmer for a minute to make sure the chicken is cooked through.
Serve straight away with steamed rice and a pinch of chili flakes.