This easy weeknight dinner, packs a punch! Fiery gingery meatballs in a sweet, savoury, sticky and glossy sauce. It’s on the table within 30 minutes, definitely a keeper!
Kale & Sticky Pork-Ginger Meatballs Stir fry
- Meat balls
- 300 grams pork mince (you can also use pork sausages) 3 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated 2 cloves garlic, grated 2 tbsp (panko) breadcrumbs, more if needed
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced.
- 500 g vegetables of choice, i.e. kale, bok choy, broccoli etc.
- The sauce:
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup cold water
- 1/5 stock cube (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- To serve:
- 1 cup dried basmati white (see instructions how I like to cook rice)
- 2-3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Chili oil
Preheat oven to 190°C, combine all the sauce ingredients, set aside. Roughly chop your vegetables into bite size pieces.
Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, adding more bread crumbs if the mixture is too wet. Roll into golf ball sized balls. Pour the sesame oil into an oven dish and heat in oven for 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook for 20 minutes, tossing the balls lightly half way through.
Cook the rice: bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add 1 cup of basmati rice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes. Drain out the water and let steam in the pan with the lid in while you finish the dish (minimum 8 minutes).
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan and add the onion, stir fry on high heat until slightly charred, ± 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir fry along for 30 seconds.
Add the vegetables and stir fry on high heat until starting to char, ± 2 minutes.
Stir the sauce so the corn flour loosens up and add it to the vegetables. Mix well and let simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
Serve the meatballs with the vegetables , rice, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds and some chili oil.